Knitting Queen's Pattern Page!

patterns and stuff and things seen on the Knitting Queen

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Big Wool Mittens




Please see notes and updates at bottom before beginning!

Materials:


1 ball Rowan Big Wool (shown in color Tricky)*
4 dp needles size 11
yarn needle
6 inches of smooth waste yarn in similiar weight**

Gauge:

3sts and 4 rows to 1 inch

Size:

Fits a medium women's hand.

Pattern (make 2):

Cast on 20 stitches

Distribute evenly over 3 needles, join round, and mark beginning***

Cuff:

K2 P2 rib for 2 inches.

Hand:

Knit 1 round

Next round: Increase 3 times evenly across round****. 23 st.

Knit 1 round

Next round: Increase 3 times evenly across round**** . 26 st

Knit 6 more rounds, break yarn.

Knit the first 4 stitches of the next round with the waste yarn. Rejoin Big Wool and continue knitting across round.

Knit 14 more rounds

*k4, k2tog* across round, k2 (22st)

Knit 1 round

*k3, k2tog* across round, k2 (18st)

Knit 1 round

*k2, k2tog* across round, k2 (14 st)

Knit 1 round

*k1, k2tog* across round, k2 (10 st)

Knit 1 round

*k2tog* across round (5 st)

Break yarn and thread through remaining stitches, pull tight.

The image “http://photos1.blogger.com/img/68/2378/320/Dsc00124.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Thumb:

Remove waste yarn. Pick up 7 live stitches and pick up 5 stitches from sides (12 st)

Arrange evenly on dps.

Knit 7 rounds

*k2tog* across round (6st)

*k2tog* across round (3st)

Break yarn, thread through remaining stitches and pull tight.

Finishing:

Weave in all ends.

The image “http://photos1.blogger.com/img/68/2378/320/Dsc00122.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.




*Ok, so this pattern might take more than 1 ball of Rowan. I had bought 2, made a uterus
and had a ball and a half left. So I made mittens. I started a new mitten with the second ball. Said mitten weighs less than the left over yarn, so you should be able to make a pair with 1 ball, but I haven't tested that theory yet. If you make these, please please please let me know.

**I used 4 strands of Rowan Summer Tweed that I had lying around.

***My favorite new trick for joining rounds is to criss-cross the beginning and last stitch of the round, so it's all joined up before you start knittng.

****To space these evenly, I just increased at the beginning of each needle.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UPDATE
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Ok, so I've been wearing these mittens for a little over a month now. The Big Wool pills like crazy. It's a really soft yarn. On one hand, the mittens look a bit worse for wear on the palms. On the other, the inside's starting to felt up a bit, making them softer and warmer!

Also, I realize that I like a big roomy hand. You could probably delete the second round of increases for a closer fitting mitten. You'd definetely get one pair out of one ball that way, as well.

5 Comments:

At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! I'm a beginner knitter, and tried your pattern. Thought I'd let you see a picture of the finished product:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y277/cseitz/100_0130.jpg

Thanks!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Mittens. I'm going to try this pattern. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 12:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came upon r site ... really cute mittens...ty for sharing....
I will give them a try.... we get very cold weather here so these will certanily keep hands warm..
Gail from Canada

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this great pattern! A friend asked me to knit her some mittens, so I made a pair this weekend using a ball of Lion Brand Wool Ease from Michael's Crafts on size 10 needles. I added two extra rounds to the thumb. The mittens are thick and should be quite warm.

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Jessica said...

I'm a beginner knitter ... and can't use dpn do you have an easy, quick pattern that you would share with me for knitting mittens?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home